By Ted Becker
I had just finished the first edition of The Last, Lost Empire in November of 2008, when Barack Obama was elected to his first term as President of the United States. So, I had to integrate this event into the history of American Empire and evaluate his ascendance to power within the confines of “The Imperial Presidency” and the toxic, oligarchic culture of Washington, D.C. Thus, I produced a list of what he could NOT accomplish, no matter what.
So, now Barack Obama has been re-elected to the presidency and will serve in that office until January 2017. I’ve reviewed what I wrote about the historical and political limitations in December 2008…and I am confident that these very same restrictions will apply until 2017—barring some unprecedented man-made or natural calamity or unpredictable series of them.
Here they are. See for yourself. No amount of political “hype” from the American mainstream media and punditry will alter them:
- “He cannot easily alter America’s deeper political, economic, genetic code of expansionism and missionary overzealousness.”
- “He cannot dislodge the American Corporate Oligarch from its unassailable constitutional perch.”
- “He cannot neuter the military-industrial complex.”
- “He cannot stop global warming and climate change and their inexorable calamities.”
- “He cannot ‘bail out,’ borrow and spend his way out of a failed “American Corporate Oligarchy” model at home (via some weird hybrid of Reaganomics, The New World Order and The New Deal”).
- “He cannot disrupt the gathering momentum of a global political and economic meltdown and for an emergent replacement that will greatly diminish the former American financial and economic supremacy of Bretton Woods and the Old “New World Order.” (pp. 394-395)
Not a bad set of predictions from December 2008, huh?
As for 2013-17, we can expect the exact same general results as Obama tries to maintain an unsustainable status quo. Here are a few probable developments beyond Obama’s power to avoid, that, when they occur, will actually lead to an acceleration of general global chaos:
- An escalation of the as yet unrecognized ultra-hi-tech World War III plus The Pentagon’s explicit plan to “pivot” our military might to Asia, otherwise known as China.
Cyberspace, the New Frontier – and the Same Old Multilateralism
- A further deterioration of the Eurozone’s stability and strength and the flight of capital and wealth from West to East.
Investment Expert: Eurozone Is ‘Slowly Crumbling’
- An illusory fairness applied to the American tax code while imposing even harsher central banking style “austerity” on the American people.
Obama insists on tax hike for rich as part of fiscal deal
- Taking a few too-little-too-late stabs at upgrading the American capitalist infrastructure:
Obama: Let’s Spend Billions to Fix What the Stimulus Was Supposed to Fix
- The rise of the BRICS, and its new global currency that has the capacity to disrupt the U.S. economic hegemony.
BRICS: Dollar No Longer Reserve Currency?
- Ever increasing small intensity (but endless) wars in Africa, South or Central Asia, or Latin America (Mali, Burma and Honduras) that will continue to have negative unintended consequences for the U.S.
U.S. looks to effort in Somalia as model for Mali solution
US opens door to military ties with Burma
Honduras: Which Side Is the US On?
- Unimaginably horrific new hurricanes, typhoons, tornadoes floods, droughts, fires, famines, tsunamis in greater intensity, length and breadth than in recorded human history in every part of the world.
Climate Change Worse Than We Thought
So, if you’re counting on Obama’s second term to turn things around, you’re likely to be quite disappointed, yet again. It’s not time to head for the hills. It’s time to get real.